For those interested in trying home brewing, Sechler shared some tips:
• Know thyself. Figure out what you like to drink, and brew that.
• Have patience. When you take time with the process, you end up with a better product.
• Get involved. Join local clubs, attend events, and participate in online communities. It’s a great way to get some inspiration. Local ones include Carolina Brew Masters in Charlotte, and Iredell Brewers United.
• Read. Get a good starter book. Sechler’s top three include: John Palmer’s How to Brew, Dave Miller’s Homebrewing Guide, and Charlie Papazian’s The Complete Joy of Home Brewing.
• Be prepared. Know what you have, and what you need, before you need it.
About the contributor:
Christina is a local multimedia content producer and digital strategist. Formerly the editor of CorneliusNews.net, she is thrilled to work with the OTC team to once again help tell the ever-evolving Cornelius story. She lives nearby with her husband, Nate, and a small menagerie of 2- and 4-legged beasties.